Meditation Facilitation Mentorship Program in Victoria
- January 16, 2017 - January 28, 2017
12:30 pm - 4:00 pm
Have you studied mindfulness or meditation and want to go deeper? Are you a yoga teacher, psychologist, nurse, educator or in a caring profession and want to facilitate meditation at work? Do you want to learn the deeper roots of contemplative practice?
This Meditation Facilitation Mentorship Program is a two-week training for delivering mindfulness meditation practices to others, including a variety of different populations, in small groups and one-on-one.
The course will integrate the traditional maps of meditation in the Buddhist and yoga traditions with the insights of Western psychology and neuroscience. The aim is to prepare participants to teach meditation by combining deep personal understanding, a contemporary language for describing what happens in meditation, and the essential skills for facilitation.
Each day Michael will teach a technique, you will learn to practice it, and Michael will then explain the theory and psychology of that particular practice (For example: Is this good for anxiety? Why is this a contraindication? Is breathing with pain a good idea? When? Should I teach this the same to groups as I would one-on-one?)
“My formal academic training is in psychology, my meditative training is monastic, I’m an independent scholar, and I’m also a father and someone who cares deeply about healing in communities. I teach using multiple lenses, rooted in tradition but alive and adaptable to what’s needed in contemporary times, especially in reaching different populations. From the technology issues that create distraction in teens or people suffering from depression and pain – each group needs a different approach and it’s precisely this blending of approaches that makes this course unique, personal, and practical.”
Combining in-person training sessions with online peer-based learning, this training with Michael Stone and guest faculty is an opportunity to deepen your understanding of meditation practice and learn how to deliver mindfulness meditation with skill.
This training comprises:
- Two weeks of study in Victoria, BC, in a well-equipped studio near a gorgeous park and ocean.
- Peer-based learning: you will be partnered with other students in the course for feedback and co-study, creating a community learning environment. These in-person or Skype-based sessions will last for 50-minutes and will take place over 5 weeks after the course is completed.
- Complete one personal essay, 3 pages in length, due at the end of the program in order to receive a certificate;
- Continued support after graduating.
While not a requirement, participants are encouraged to participate in one silent retreat with Michael (annual retreats offered in France, British Columbia, or New York) .
Additional benefits of taking the course include the study of traditional and contemporary texts, joining a community of like-minded practitioners for reciprocal learning and curriculum building, and embodying your own mindfulness practice into your daily life.
1. Foundations of Practice and Theory
- Embody your practice of meditation, learn to stabilize your mind, and cultivate concentration and equanimity.
- Learn the 4 Foundations of Mindfulness and how they interact with different people.
- Understand the psychological and philosophical teachings from Vipassana, Yoga Sutra, and Zen traditions that inform meditative practices and maps of the mind.
- Combine theory and practice to develop your understanding and learn to teach using role play and best group facilitation practices.
2. Applications, including Therapeutic Applications
- Receive coaching on teaching mindfulness to a variety of different populations, both as small groups and one on one.
- Skill building in offering meditation for anxiety, depression, ADHD, substance misuse, and other common symptoms.
- Obtain the tools for starting your own mindfulness program in a variety of settings
Upon completion of all parts of the training, you will receive a Certificate of Completion from Hemma. Note: this certificate is not granted by an external awarding body.
January 16th – 21st
January 22nd – Day Off
January 23rd – 28th
Mondays – Fridays: 12:30-4:30pm
$2300+gst on/before Dec 15th
Register online at hemma.ca/events with Paypal or in person/by phone at Hemma. Payment is required at time of registration to reserve your spot in the course. Payment options are available.